Art We There Yet is an initiative by artists José Luis Vílchez and Cora Rose. Our mission is to create art highlighting the challenges, diversity, and shared humanity of peoples across the Americas.
Aboard a school bus converted into an art and recording studio, we are traveling 30,000 miles across North, Central, and South America. We are:
- Creating a vast portfolio of visual art and music inspired by the peoples and landscapes of the Americas
- Connecting with communities through the facilitation of community murals and songwriting workshops
Because art is powerful.
We are using the arts to illustrate the strength in our diversity, and to emphasize our shared humanity. Our work directly draws from exposure to new sights, new people, and experiencing the different realities lived by humans across the world. We also believe everyone deserves access to the arts, so we are providing arts programming in communities that need it the most.
CREATIVE COMPONENTS OF THE PROJECT
José is creating:
- A series of photographic portraits highlighting our shared humanity
- A series of paintings inspired by the journey
Cora is creating:
- An album recorded with musicians along the way, blending diverse genres
- A series of songs built from soundscapes captured across the Americas
Together we are:
- Painting murals and teaching workshops in communities along the way
- Producing a series of short experimental films inspired by the Americas
- Producing a documentary film, book, and gallery exhibit to be distributed after the journey ends in Argentina
Art We There Yet also provides a free artist residency. The studio bus is a unique creative space, and this should be shared. The Art We There Yet artist residency provides the opportunity for artists to complete a project, drawing inspiration from new surroundings.